Tuesday 22 April 2014

Frances Ha


Must suck to dream of becoming a dancer if you can't dance. As the Meryl Streep of mumblecore, Greta Gerwig ( my new heroine ) plays the part to no fault. I am convinced that she and she alone could have brought the character and this film to life. Oh my god, I love you Greta. Sometimes difficult to watch, Frances' career, financial, social, and love life swan dives into the worst. But what is admirable is how Frances' optimism surpasses all this. I have to admit that this can be my new go-to-movie when life just serves you a plate of shit. It reminds me of the difficulties of growing up and figuring things out in your late 20's. It's not supposed to be simple AT ALL. It's easy to sympathise with Frances as she finally gets herself together. It is a real satisfying moment to watch her achieve a little bit of the dream she aspires. Though we know she never will become a full-fledged dancer because she is god awful, we find her settle into something somewhat close to it. And watch her become comfortable with that fact. 

Frances Ha is a charming little film shot in black and white. With cinematography made timeless by the New York buildings and streets, the film evokes nostalgia as well as modernity at the same time. It is wonderfully confusing the effect it has on me. At times, I feel like I was Frances myself. Oh man, I wish I thought of this film first. A simple and very very good film.

Pink eye rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment