Tuesday 22 April 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel


Oh my God! Are you effing kidding me? The visuals are divine. I think I can just crawl under my covers and wrap myself in Wes Anderson world. I died scene after scene as the art direction just stuns my eyes over and over again. Visuals aside, of which Wes can do no wrong, I have to put myself under the line of fire by disagreeing with most. I do not agree that this is his best film to date. I suffer from repeating myself but I just can't help it, the visuals are killer. However, I have to say that its predecessor "Moon Rise Kingdom" far surpasses this film in every aspect. Wes has put together an A-grade cast that only I can dream about working with like possibly never. But despite this killer cast, the story suffers greatly from a lack of a more complex plot or some bite of human truth. 

Sometimes funny, the film suffers from too much romantic monologues from its characters. Charming as it is, it doesn't do anything to the progress of the film. Although child-like in its depiction of the world, it would have been nice to incorporate some adult insight that would serve as the film's core and purpose. As a devout follower of all of Wes Anderson's films, I would say that this film is by far his most violent and bloody. But even so, it is treated comically and lightly. 

My most favorite characters would be the Butler played by Mathieu Amalric. Boy oh boy. Even for a few seconds of screen time, he has captured me completely. Pained and struggling with the truth of his mistress's murder, his large black eyes show the great conflict within. For that few moments he graces the screen, I've been turned into a fan girl. I've spent many hours googling the man. But that is besides the point. 

Far from perfect, this film is still pleasurable to watch. I think that it is great to have Wes around to give us films just like this. An auteur, possibly the last living one, he creates a world that we want to get lost in. We anticipate the next one he creates. And wish that his films last longer, so we can live in his world for as long as we can. 

Pink eye rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment